Having a sister like me, my brother has learnt many life skills. Thanks to me, his motto in life is "happy wife happy life!" (What ??? no way !!!) yes, this way...
A study from the Brigham Young University states,
Statistical analyses showed that having a sister protected adolescents from feeling lonely, unloved, guilty, self-conscious and fearful. It didn’t matter whether the sister was younger or older, or how far apart the siblings were age wise.Read the full article here
- My brother respects women. He learnt it while teasing me, when I threatened to hurt myself with the knife I was holding in my hand.
- He also learnt about this 'zalim duniya' when I would hit him, get hurt, then cry and run to Mom complaining I got hurt (which was true but not the whole truth about how I started hitting him first). Then mom would scold him for no fault of his.
- He knows better than to mess with the lady because while he was only threatening me with a hanger, I hit him with a belt.
- He is patient, calm and scopes with stress better because of me... I have been irritating and bugging him since forever now !!
When you have a sister, you never truly forget the past.
If you do, she'll be happy to remind you of all your stupidest mistakes.
All that said, my brother has pampered me especially when he needed me to help him out. (Read pampered = bribed). And when Bhabhi joined our family, she also joined with him to pamper me even more.
In the last few years I have realized one thing... the way nobody will understand a sister's unconditional love for her brother, nobody can understand what goes on inside the head of a brother. Brothers tell their sisters to be strong, to be independent, to fight their own battles while trying to keep them safe and fighting their fights in the background. Sometimes we sisters have no clue and sometimes we do realize how our brothers are trying to protect us while also encouraging us to be bold.
- You know how siblings are. It takes them efforts to appreciate each other. So when my brother said "Best Sister in the World" for the first and the last time, I had to capture it.
Scratches prove how much I have used it
- My brother gifted these earphones which has made my life so much easy. For once, the earphones stay on my ears and don't fall off every minute!!
- Subscription to Netflix. When we were younger, I taught my brother sharing is caring which is paying off today.
- My brother had bought a minion themed t-shirt for my bhabhi. But you see, I love minion a little too much. So its mine now !!
This is me showing off the minion t-shirt
- When I celebrated my birthday with bhaiya and bhabhi after a long time, they gifted me Nintendo Wii U console and Just Dance CD along with it. I love dancing !!
This is the latest version
- In 2012, they gifted me a smartphone, Samsung S III. I still have it, and it still works... sometimes. But it is too precious to let go. So I have this habit of dropping things all the time, specially my phone. I remember, people in my office were more concerned about this phone than I should have been. Now you know why !!
Its broken but it still works !!
- When the The Twilight Saga book series was released in 2008, my brother wasn't in town. But these books were the talk of the town. And since there was so much noise about them, I had no interest in reading them. However, it was my birthday and my brother decided me to gift something I had no interest in.
I remember I was at a restaurant for a family dinner celebration when I get a call from my brother's friend. He bought this book set and came all the way to gift it to his friend's little sister. I was sincerely overwhelmed. Eventually I had to read them because I love my brother too much.
P.S. I am glad he got me these books. I am a huge fan! I have also read the latest book in the series "Midnight Sun"
I bugged one of my brothers to get me a gift instead of the standard rakhi money. He got me the epic novel "Gone with the Wind"
- Generally I don't wear a watch, instead I wear a Fitbit. However, on important or special occasions, I wear one of the watches my brothers have gifted me over the years. It kind of gives me assurance that things are going to be fine even if things don't go my way at the moment.
- Remember Bagwati from Zindagi na Milegi dobara?
Meet my Bagwati !!
This beauty was gifted to me in 2012. After keeping it in the safe for 8 years, I finally started using it in 2020. And then Covid happened. So now its back in the safe.
- My younger brother, when he started working for the very 1st time, I asked him to buy rakhi gifts for us, sisters. He got me these earrings (which he tells me he bought without anyone's help) and which I immensely love. Well, these were originally gold in colour but because of wear and use they have turned bronze and I still flaunt them. I think I will flaunt them even after all the colour has gone. After all, silver jewelry is also a thing!!
That's the thing with gifts. There are stories and memories attached to each of them and I will always cherish these gifts.
The manner of giving is worth more than the gift
- Pierre Corneille
If you are a sister too do tell us about the gifts your brother has given you in the comments section !!
If you are a brother looking for a gift for your sister, Get in Touch !!
Keep loving !!
Keep gifting !!